“Like I Would”
May 24, 2016
Zayn Malik, C. Wells, J. Griffin, Robin Weisse, K. Rains, J. Emerson, S. Waviest
Lyrically, the song tries to prove to someone that he is the best thing she is ever going to get and that her new lover lacks the skills he brings to the bedroom.
As described by the Billboard, the song is like a "dancefloor-ready R&B jam". The Independent described it as "electro-R&B". According to Complex, the song features an "upbeat backdrop and a catchy hook", and according to Spin, it has "a steady bass" and "funkyhook." It has been also described as a dance track. The song incorporates disco grooves in its chorus and brooding lyrics.
In the United States, it debuted at number 55 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 18 on the Pop Digital Songs chart. It is Zayn's third Hot 100 hit, after "Pillowtalk" and "iT's YoU". "Like I Would" also debuted at number 31 on the Digital Songs chart, selling 26,000 downloads, and number 42 on the Streaming Songs chart, with 5.6 million streams.
Commercially, the song reached the top-forty in eight countries, including Australia, Canada, Ireland and the United Kingdom. It also became his second song as a solo artist to reach the Billboard Hot 100 where it peaked at number 55, and also topped the country's dance charts.
|Released||May 10, 2016|
|VEVO views||47,222,883 (as of March 7, 2018)|
These are the list of remix versions of "Like I Would".
The Fader included it in their "11 Songs You Need In Your Life This Week" list, describing it as a "euphoric, super danceable breakup jam". Nate Scott of USA Today ranked it number two on his "10 best songs of the week" list, calling it "another step in the right direction," noting that "the dancey track has verve and Malik’s voice shows some range." Lewis Corner and Amy Davidson of Digital Spy also included it in their "10 tracks you need to hear" list, stating that they "were still waiting for that BIG pop banger we know he's capable of" and that "Like I Would" is "just that and then some." Corner later added that the song is "screaming louder than Zayn's fans to be a No.1 hit" as the "hook is contagious, the lyric is swoon-worthy arrogant, and the chorus is enough to pop off arena ceilings across the globe." Robbie Daw of Idolator called it "a glorious ’80s throwback". Andrew Milne of musicOMH called it an "exhilarating breakup banger," while Brittany Spanos of Rolling Stone enjoyed it for being a "clubby success."
Edwin Ortiz of Complex stated that it "has major potential to get burn in clubs across the country." Nicholas Parco of New York Daily News stated that the track "is primed to be an early contender for hit of the early summer". Brennan Carley of Spin praised "ZAYN’s rich, warm vocals" that "weave themselves around a backing choir before a huge funky hook kicks in." Carley also stated: "What 'Sorry' did to jumpstart Justin Bieber's 'Purpose', 'Like I Would' is the poppy kick in the ass 'Mind of Mine' needed pre-release." Leah Greenblatt of Entertainment Weekly noted that the song leans "headfirst into sleek, Weeknd-style hedonism," a sentiment that Maeve McDermott of USA Today also expressed, writing that it "give us another clue what R&B contemporary Malik is taking clues from on this record: the Weeknd." Nick Levine of The Independent also agreed with both critics about The Weeknd's reference. Michael Cragg of The Guardian thought it was weird that "the excellent, upbeat 'Like I Would' is relegated to the deluxe edition."
Credits and Personnel
- Recorded at Record Plant, Los Angeles, California; Grove Studios, Los Angeles.
- Mixed at MixStar Studios, Virginia Beach, California
- Zayn – vocals, writing.
- Chase Wells – writing, production, keyboards, programming, guitars.
- James Griffin – writing, production, keyboards, programming.
- Kevin Rains – writing, production, keyboards, programming.
- James Emerson – writing, production, keyboards, programming, guitars.
- Salvador Waviest – writing, production, keyboards, programming, guitars, recording.
- Couros Sheibani – keyboards, programming.
- Serban Ghenea – mixing
- Henrique Andrade – recording.
- Alex Layne – recording assistant.
- John Hanes – mixing engineer.
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Mind of Mine, RCA Records
- ↑ Hear Zayn Malik's Dancey 'Like I Would'
- ↑ Zayn Shifts Focus to Dancefloor on New Track 'Like I Would'
- ↑ Zayn shares 'Like I Would' from his debut album
- ↑ ZAYN Takes It to the Club With His New Song, "LIKE I WOULD"
- ↑ ZAYN’s ‘Like I Would’ Moves ‘Mind of Mine’ to the Center of the Dance Floor
- ↑ Zayn's "Like I Would" Lyrics Sing An Uptempo Ode To A Love Lost
- ↑ Zayn channels The Weeknd on new song 'Like I Would'
- ↑ Canadian Digital Songs
- ↑ Pop Digital Songs
- ↑ Hot 100 Chart Moves
- ↑ Zayn performing "Like I Would'
- ↑ Zayn's performance on The Tonight Show