- "Where We Are" redirects here. For the song by the same name, see Midnight Memories (song).
Midnight Memories (album)
November 25, 2013
Rock, Folk Rock, Folk Pop, Folk, Rock N Roll, Hard Rock, Pop
|Singles from Midnight Memories (album)|
The members of One Direction began work on their third studio album while embarking on their second world tour, the Take Me Home Tour. The album was announced simultaneously with the news of the band's third world tour, the Where We Are Tour. Louis announced the album would have a "rockier" sound to it. The track listing for the album was leaked on July 2, 2013. Ed Sheeran, who previously wrote "Little Things" and "Moments", was not featured on the album as earlier reports suggested but did end up collaborating with the band again for their fourth album, FOUR.
The official title of the album was revealed on September 6, 2013, after Zayn tweeted a short video with Harry writing out the word "Mid" out of a pile of alphabet letters on the floor. Later at 4pm, the full video was posted on Instagram with Harry spelling the whole name of the album, Midnight Memories. On September 17, 2013, Niall tweeted that he will be playing guitar on some of the tracks on the album.
The artwork was released early exclusively by the popular British newspaper "The Sun" via a tweet from their twitter account and was confirmed the following morning by the official One direction Twitter account in another tweet. The early access was only available to those people who had a membership with the online version of the newspaper.
On October 11, 2013, One Direction revealed the track listing for the album via a "#MidnightMemoriesTrackQuiz" on Twitter. It revealed the names of the tracks with a mixture of hints and filling in the gap style questions. The deluxe edition track list was revealed through iTunes.
It was then announced that One Direction would team up with iHeart Radio to have an album release party on November 22, 2013 in Los Angeles. It previewed the songs on the album, with the boys.
- If you had pre-ordered any of the singles from Midnight Memories and you wanted to buy the album then you wouldn't be charged for the track you'd already bought.
- If you had pre-ordered the album you would automatically get a copy of:
A TV advert was released and seen on YouTube as well as on TV. There were also posters in bus stops and on billboards. There were countdown videos till the day of the album release on November 25th. The album was leaked on November 18, 2013, seven days ahead of its official release.. The band participated in a seven hour long livestream called 1D Day as part of promotion for the album. It was released on November 25, 2013 and a video posted on their channel. It reached number 1 in over 90 countries and all 18 tracks appeared on the iTunes Top 100 chart in America by the end of the day. One Direction announced their 4th single as You & I through a 7 second Youtube video on April 11, 2014.
- Main article: Where We Are Tour
- Main article: Editions of Midnight Memories
|1.||"Best Song Ever"||Wayne Hector, John Ryan, Haille Walker, Julian Bunetta, Ed Drewett||Julian Bunetta||3:20|
|2.||"Story of My Life"||Jamie Scott, John Ryan, Julian Bunetta, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson and Harry Styles||Julian Bunetta||4:05|
|3.||"Diana"||John Ryan, Julian Bunetta, Jamie Scott, Louis Tomlinson and Liam Payne||Julian Bunetta, and John Ryan||3:05|
|4.||"Midnight Memories"||Julian Bunetta, Jamie Scott, John Ryan, Louis Tomlinson and Liam Payne||Julian Bunetta, and John Ryan||2:56|
|5.||"You & I"||Hector , Mich Hansen, Bunetta , Harry Johnson, Joseph Belmaati, Alistair Tennant||Julian Bunetta, and John Ryan||3:57|
|6.||"Don't Forget Where You Belong"||Niall Horan, Tom Fletcher, Danny Jones, Dougie Poynter||Danny Jones, Dougie Poynter, and Tom Fletcher||4:01|
|7.||"Strong"||Louis Tomlinson, John Ryan, Jamie Scott, and Julian Bunetta||Julian Bunetta, and John Ryan||3:04|
|8.||"Happily"||Harry Styles, Savan Kotecha, and Carl Falk||Carl Falk||2:55|
|9.||"Right Now"||Ryan Tedder, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, Louis Tomlinson||Ryan Tedder||3:20|
|10.||"Little Black Dress"||Liam Payne , Louis Tomlinson , Julian Bunetta , John Ryan , and John Theodore Geiger||Julian Bunetta , John Ryan , and John Theodore Geiger||2:37|
|11.||"Through The Dark"||Liam Payne , Louis Tomlinson , Jamie Scott , and Toby Smith||Jamie Scott , and Toby Smith||3:41|
|12.||"Something Great"||Harry Styles , Jacknife Lee , and Gary Lightbody (of Snow Patrol)||Jacknife Lee||3:56|
|13.||"Little White Lies"||Liam Payne , Louis Tomlinson , Julian Bunetta , Ed Drewett , John Ryan , and Wayne Hector||Julian Bunetta and John Ryan||3:17|
|14.||"Better Than Words"||Liam Payne , Louis Tomlinson , Julian Bunetta , John Ryan , and Jamie Scott||Julian Bunetta and John Ryan||3:27|
|Deluxe edition bonus tracks|
|15.||"Why Don't We Go There"||Hector, Johnson, Kelly, Robson, Horan, Malik, Payne, Styles, Tomlinson||Robson||2:54|
|16.||"Does He Know "||Bunetta, Ryan, Scott, Tomlinson, Payne||Bunetta, Ryan, Scott||2:59|
|17.||"Alive"||Bunetta, Ryan, Scott, Tomlinson||Rad, Bunetta, Ryan||2:41|
|18.||"Half A Heart"||Lindy Robbins, Drewett, Robson||Robson||3:08|
- Within the first week of its release, Midnight Memories sold more than 237,000 copies, making it the fastest selling album in the UK of 2013, beating Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, with 165,000 copies. It spent two weeks at number one.
- It was also a personal record for One Direction as fastest selling album in the UK, as it beat Up All Night (139,000 copies week one) and Take Me Home (155,000 copies week one). 
- At the end of 2013, it was the highest selling album of 2013, shifting 685,000 copies, after only five weeks since it's release.
- “This tops an amazing year for us!” Liam Payne told OfficialCharts.com.“We're so excited to have the biggest selling album in the UK this year, especially with a record we are all so proud of. We'd like to thank everyone who has bought the album, it really means a lot to us.”
- In August 2014, the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) announced Midnight Memories to the biggest selling album of 2013, selling a total of 4 million copies in only 5 weeks, beating Eminem and Justin Timberlake to the top of the chart.
|November 21, 2013||The X Factor (U.S.)||"Story Of My Life"||United States|
|November 24, 2013||The X Factor (UK)||"Story Of My Life"||England|
|December 19, 2013||The X Factor (UK)||"Midnight Memories"||England|
- ↑ Twitter Harry's Tweet
- ↑ Twitter One Direction's Tweet
- ↑ Capitalfm.com Third studio album
- ↑ Twitter Zayn's Tweet
- ↑ Instagram Video by onedirection
- ↑ Twitter Niall's tweet
- ↑ Twitter The Sun's tweet
- ↑ Twitter One Direction's cover art tweet
- ↑ Twitter One Direction tracklist quiz tweet
- ↑ Twitter One Direction - Pre-release tracks
- ↑ YouTube One Direction - Pre-release tracks
- ↑ Onedirectionmusic.com One Direction - "Have You Pre-Ordered Midnight Memories Yet?"
- ↑ Youtube.com TV Advert - Midnight Memories by One Direction
- ↑ Mirror.co.uk Midnight Memories leaked ahead of its release
- ↑ Youtube.com Midnight Memories Countdown Calendar November 25th - Midnight Memories OUT NOW!
- ↑ YouTube.comYou & I single announcment
- ↑ Officialcharts.com One Direction sore fastest selling album of their career