Niall James Horan
September 13, 1993 (age 22)
Mullingar, County Westmeath
Bobby Horan, father
Holly Scally (ex-girlfriend)
Early LifeNiall was born in Mullingar, County Westmeath, Ireland. He is the son of Bobby Horan and Maura Gallagher. His only sibling is an older brother named Greg. Bobby and Maura divorced in 1998 when Niall was five years old. He lived in both parents' homes before finally settling with his dad. He felt that living in Mullingar was the easiest thing to do at the time, because all of his friends were there.
Niall's stepfather is from England, and he has family there. Niall was a pupil at Coláiste Mhuire, Mullingar, a boys' Christian Brothers school. He got 3 B's, 3 C's and 3 D's in his Junior Certificate. He has been playing guitar since he was around eleven years old, and performed around his homeland, including as a support act for Lloyd Daniels, in Dublin.
- Main article: One Direction History
In 2010, at sixteen years old, Niall auditioned for the seventh series of The X Factor UK in Dublin. He sang "So Sick", and received mixed comments from the judges. Louis Walsh was in his favor, but Cheryl Cole and guest judge Katy Perry, felt he needed some time to grow. Simon voted to let him through, Cheryl said no, and Louis quickly added in his yes, and left Niall's fate up to Katy. She decided to vote yes, and Niall was put through to bootcamp.
At bootcamp, Niall sang "Champagne Supernova", but failed to qualify for the "Boys" category. After a suggestion from guest judge Nicole Scherzinger, Niall was put into a group with four other boys, who also failed to move on in the competition, but since they were too good to let go the judges decided to agree with Nicole. Niall, along with Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, and Zayn Malik formed One Direction. Niall, along with Louis was not given regular solos to perform during X Factor. One Direction made it to the finals where they received 3rd place.
Following The X Factor, One Direction signed a record contract with Sony Music subsidiary Syco Music . They released their first studio album, Up All Night, which went #1 worldwide. In November 2012, One Direction released Take Me Home, starting with Live While We're Young. Around this time, fans became frustrated with Niall's lack of solos on record, starting a hashtag #LetNiallSing. As of the band's third and fourth albums - Midnight Memories and FOUR - Niall has been featured much more as a lead vocalist and has his own solos on each song. On Four, he sang a number of first verses in their entirety on his own.
In June 2015, Niall told fans on Twitter he had been contributing a lot of songwriting to the band's fifth album. He said was unable to contribute more to FOUR because of his leg injury, which he was recovering from during primary songwriting for that album.
Credits adapted from album liner notes
- "Live While We're Young" — additional guitar
- "Kiss You" — additional guitar
- "Heart Attack" — additional guitar
- "Change My Mind" — additional guitar
- "Back For You" — writing
- "Summer Love" — writing
- "Still The One" — additional guitar
- "Irresistible" — writing
His parents are divorced, and his mom is remarried. He has a brother, Greg, a nephew, Theo, and a cat, Jess.
Niall was dating Holly before he appeared on The X Factor (UK). He stated that they were sweethearts and that they'd be together forever. They apparently broke up in 2012 because they never saw each other enough, due to his music career.
While Niall never spoke publicly about Melissa, he was spotted with the Australian 21 year old numerous times between November 2014 and April 2015. Niall also spent most of December 2014 and January 2015 in Australia, before One Direction's On The Road Again world tour began in Sydney in Feb 2015. It's believed he may have been spending time there with Whitelaw, particularly as she was spotted with him outside Sydney's Allianz stadium just before the band's first concert. She was last seen with Niall at the April 2015 Trekstock charity ball held by Liam Payne.. It was widely reported the pair had split by June 2015 because of long distance.
Niall is a keen golfer, regularly playing the sport in his spare time. In April 2015, he was the caddy for world No 1 golfer Rory McIlroy at the annual Masters Par 3 Contest.
He also regularly keeps track of various other sports, such as wrestling and soccer, often updating his predictions and thoughts on Twitter.
- "I like anything that's edible..." (Favorite Things)
- "You make me wanna TSSSSSS one more night!" (his famous Better Than Words verse)
- "I want to have sold out arenas, an album." (X Factor Audition)
- "Well, personally, I wouldn't like to be a food, because I wouldn't want to be eaten." (X Factor Diary 7)
- "POTATO!" (X Factor, Xtra Factor)
- ”We figured out recently, that - it’s not a conscious decision- but we don’t really see each other on our time off, do we?” (A Current Affair Australia interview, 2014)
- "5 years, literally sittin' down talking about last night. Insane! I remember the day we were put together like it was yesterday! You guys have changed our lives and we all love you so much! Best fans on the planet, easy! Thanks to the boys too, we've seen and done some incredible things together, love you all!" (Commemorating the band's fifth year anniversary on Twitter)
- "I think Where Do Broken Hearts Go is perfect, what we should've done a long time ago" (FOUR Hangout, 2014)
- His blonde hair. (Note: that it's naturally brown and is/has been bleached/dyed ever since he was 12)
- His Irish accent.
- His laugh.
- His carefree attitude.
- His starsign is Virgo.
- He is 5 feet 7 inches (170.18 centimeters tall).
- He has size 8 feet.
- He is left handed.
- Niall's microphone has the colors of the Irish flag stuck to the bottom of it.
- His favorite band is The Eagles.
- He is a fan of Taylor Swift's music and is friends with her.
- His guitar was the best Christmas present he ever received.
- His favorite subject in school was geography.
- He never went to his school prom.
- He is a supporter of LGBT equality.
- He is claustrophobic.
- He is the only band member who doesn't have a tattoo.
- Niall's favourite songs are 'Fly Me to the Moon' by Frank Sinatra and 'Boys of Summer' by Don Henley.
- When he was younger, Niall had Coulrophobia - a fear of clowns.
- Niall is a huge Barack Obama supporter.
- Niall has a nephew named Theo.
- He's a big fan of Michael Bublé.
- He had braces in 2011.
- He can speak Spanish.
- Niall is Catholic.
- He is quite clumsy and often falls or hurts himself. His band mates made fun of this by saying "Oh No Niall!" on Twitter, and it became an in-joke between 1D and fans.
- onedirectionmusic.com - One Direction's official website
- @NiallOfficial - Twitter
- niallhoran - Instagram
- IMDB Bio on Niall
- Biography.com- Niall Horan
- ↑ @niallofficial. "...Its James". January 13, 2011.
- ↑ The Ex Factor. Sunday World. 2010.
- ↑ Twitter.com Junior certificate grades
- ↑ Mullingar teen has got the X Factor. Westmeath Examiner. July 7, 2010.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 @Savan_Kotecha. Twitter. Confirming Niall's guitar contributions. November 5, 2012.
- ↑ http://www.sugarscape.com/celebs/news/a732053/niall-horans-ex-holly-scally-reveals-how-they-broke-up/
- ↑ http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/04/17/melissa-whitelaw-niall-horan-dating-great-gatsby-ball-together-pics/
- ↑ http://www.sugarscape.com/celebs/news/a1078514/niall-horan-split-with-melissa-whitelaw/
- ↑ http://www.skysports.com/golf/news/24491/9795851/1ds-niall-horan-slips-as-rory-mcilroys-masters-caddy
- ↑ https://twitter.com/NiallOfficial/status/624333477828235265
- ↑ http://craicthatniall.tumblr.com/post/119392745867/niall-taylor-swift