Simon Phillip Cowell
October 7, 1959
A&R executive, television producer, entrepreneur, television personality
Simon Cowell eliminated Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Louis Tomlinson, and Liam Payne from the seventh series of The X Factor in 2010. After all five were rejected as solo artists, Simon and the other judges brought them back to assemble them as a group to even out the number of contestants within each category.
Cowell was their mentor throughout the series and they ended up being his final act, bringing the band all the way to third place. After the competition, Simon signed One Direction to Syco and they became one of his most successful acts ever.
In 2015, he chose Louis to be a guest judge for X Factor UK's Judge's Houses preliminary round.
- "There will never be another One Direction."
- "My attitude is, if someone’s going to criticize me, tell me to my face."
- "If you've got a big mouth and you're controversial, you're going to get attention."
- "I think you have to judge everything based on your personal taste. And if that means being critical, so be it. I hate political correctness. I absolutely loathe it."
- "The end of the animal trade would leave more time to trap or beat to death pop star wannabes."
- "Not everybody is perfect, and I don't think we should be looking for perfect people."
- "My proudest achievement has been the success of the shows and artists I have been involved with, because they were made in Britain."
- "I think that by ignoring the show you're ignoring the audience who put you there."