Zayn Javadd Malik
January 12, 1993 (age 22)
West Lane, Baildon, Bradford
DJ Malik, Bradford Bad Boy
Yaser Malik, father
Zayn was born in West Lane, Baildon, Bradford, England. He is of English and Pakistani descent. He was born to British-Pakistani father Yaser Malik and English mother Patricia. He has one older sister, Doniya, and two younger sisters, Waliyha and Safaa. He and his family are Muslim, Zayn grew up in East Bowling, located south of the Bradford city centre. He was a student at Lower Fields Primary School in East Bowling and went to Tong High School, a state comprehensive school.
- See also: One Direction history
In 2010, when he was 17 years old, Zayn auditioned in Manchester for the seventh series of The X Factor.
Zayn was noted for becoming nervous in bootcamp. When he was told he had to dance, he decided to remain backstage, effectively running the risk of elimination. When Simon noticed Zayn missing from the dance routine, he went backstage to convince him to return. Later on, Zayn said it was a lack of confidence that caused him to run away.
Following The X Factor, One Direction signed a record contract with Sony Music subsidiary Syco Music. They released their studio album, Up All Night. A few years later on February 29, 2012, Zayn left One Direction's tour to return to the UK and be with his family due to the death of a family member.
On March 25, 2015 the One Direction Facebook announced in a statement that Malik has departed from One Direction, citing his desire to live the life of a normal 22-year-old. Additionally, in an interview with The Sun, he goes further to explain that "it wasn't real to him anymore" and that he had be unhappy with his former state for a while, having only continued because of the fans.
Zayn signed with RCA Records on July 29th, 2015.
In late May 2014, a video -- recorded in April -- from fellow band member Louis Tomlinson's phone was leaked by The Daily Mail, revealing the two boys alongside other members of their management team smoking cannabis in Peru. The footage additionally contained Zayn insulting the merchandise, stating that both them and the fans are tired of irrelevant facts such as "[Zayn's] favorite color is blue". Liam took it to Twitter to apologize for the boys' behavior, explaining that their young age led them to make these mistakes.
Zayn's parents are still together. He has three sisters and a dog named Boris.
Zayn dated fellow The X Factor contestant Geneva Lane briefly in 2010. At the time, he was 17 and she was 20. They grew close during their time on the show. However, due to Simon Cowell's strict ban against the contestants dating, they denied there was a relationship. At the season seven finale, they finally revealed themselves as a couple when cameras captured them kissing. Zayn later confirmed on Twitter that they were together. After the break up, Geneva said, "Zayn's a heartbreaker. When I found out he was seeing Rebecca I felt numb." In a November 2011 interview she said that she and Zayn remained friends, but didn't talk much because of his busy schedule.Rebecca Ferguson
In 2011, Zayn began dating The X Factor's season seven runner-up, Rebecca Ferguson when he was 18, and she was 24. Their relationship drew media attention because of the six year age difference. They met while they were on The X Factor, but Rebecca stated that "It took a while before we looked at each other in a different light. There was no one particular moment, it just evolved over time." Zayn was the one who pursued Rebecca. The relationship ended after four months in July 2011 with Rebecca stating at the time, "Me and Zayn just grew apart. I wish him all the best." However, in an interview in October 2012, Zayn opened up about the relationship by saying, "It shouldn't have happened. It was just a wrong idea from the start. It did end quite badly, so we don't talk any more. We're not in touch at all." Since then, Rebecca has alluded various times that Zayn was unfaithful.
Zayn was previously engaged to Perrie Edwards of The X Factor winning group, Little Mix. They met when One Direction performed on the show. Rumors had spread that Zayn and Perrie were dating, after Zayn revealed he has a crush on her. In May 2012, Zayn confirmed the two were a couple after paparazzi pictures of the two kissing, and riding a scooter were published. On August 18, 2013, after a weekend together, Zayn proposed to her. She displayed the three diamond ring for the first time at One Direction 's This Is Us World Premiere in London. Perrie's mum and Zayn's rep both confirmed that the two were engaged. Zayn revealed to fans at a soundcheck in the Australian leg of the Take Me Home Tour that he proposed in front of both his and Perrie's parents in their back garden during a specially set up "Outdoor Movie Night"
On August 4th, 2015, it was confirmed that Zayn and Perrie had officially split up. Zayn is said to be the one who called off the engagement, and ended the relationship back in July. According to sources, Zayn called Perrie and told her it was over back in July. An insider also reported that, "Zayn wanted to move on and start over in all ways."
His first tattoo is والتر, which is his grandfather's name, Walter, in Arabic on his chest toward the upper right. He got the tattoo after his grandfather passed away while he was on The X Factor. During an interview with Capital FM in September 2011, Zayn confirmed he had two additional tattoos. He stated that he had a Japanese symbol that means "born lucky" on his stomach (which was later covered up by a heart), and a yin and yang symbol on his left wrist. Zayn has said that the crossed fingers on his forearm are a symbol of good luck. He tweeted that the inscription across his collarbone meant "be true to who you are". The tattoo of Perrie was done during the American leg of the boy's second tour "Take Me Home" in Maryland. The image of Perrie is a "hippy" version with a beanie and a peace sign t-shirt. The snake and tiger were done in a hotel room during the Oceania leg of the Take Me Home Tour.
- "Vas Happenin?" (Common Quote)
- "I wouldn't change anything because I love my life!" (Tour Diary 4)
- "We'd party hard! DJ Malik! DJ Malik!" (Tour Diary 4)
- “I feel like there is a connection between music and art, I don’t know what that is but there’s definitely a connection between it because I just can play music and whatever I feel from the music. I think I kinda paint it.”
- “Life is funny. Things change, people change, but you will always be you, so stay true to yourself and never sacrifice who you are for anyone.”
- "I want to thank god for allowing me to be able to do what my dreams were. i’d like to thank my mum and dad for making me Asian and allowing me to have some sort of an effect on the Asian community, it’s a massive honour.i’d also like to take this moment to thank four of the best guys that i ever met, whilst being in the band and doing all the amazing things that i did, some of the things that we did will stay with me for the rest of my life and i thank you for that. and here’s to the future." (After winning an achievement award at the 2015 Asian Awards)
- "#FreePalestine" (on Twitter)
- "I never went with a master plan, thinking, ‘I want to be famous.’ I literally went for an experience thing on the show and just hoped that… I guess I just got lucky."
- "I did try to do something that I wasn’t happy doing for a while, for the sake of maybe other people’s happiness. And I only ever tried to do it for the fans, and it was only ever for them.“ (On why he left the band)
- Zayn's birth name is actually spelled 'Zain'. It wasn't until The X Factor that he decided to change the spelling to 'Zayn' because he liked how it looked. He has still not legally changed the spelling.
- He accidentaly smashed a Vespa in 2012.
- His name means "beautiful" in Arabic.
- He's afraid of open water.
- He has size 8-and-a half feet.
- He had never had a passport or been on a plane before One Direction.
- His favorite color is blue.
- His zodiac sign is Capricorn.
- He loves drawing.
- He supports Pakistan's national cricket team in the World Cup.
- His first tweet from his Twitter account @zaynmalik was on August 9, 2010.
- He is the godfather to stylist, Caroline Watson's daughter Brooklyn.
- He has a nose piercing.
- Four is the last album he recorded before he left One Direction.
- ↑ File image - Questionnaire Zayn filled out where he writes his full name.
- ↑ One Direction's Zayn Malik to miss US tour after family death. Digitalspy. Daniel Sperling. March 1, 2012.
- ↑ Interview with The Sun
- ↑ @zaynmalik. Twitter. Confirming Geneva relationship. December 13, 2010.
- ↑ Cambio.com News Article: Zayn Shares His Romantic Proposal
- ↑ One Direction Need Tattoo Advice. Capital FM. September 12, 2011.
- ↑ @zaynmalik. Twitter. Left collarbone tattoo. April 5, 2012
- ↑ Twitter Zayn's first tweet