Zayn Javadd Malik
January 12, 1993 (age 22)
West Lane, Baildon, Bradford
DJ Malik, Bradford Bad Boy
Yaser Malik, father
Zayn was born in West Lane, Baildon, Bradford, England. He is of English and Pakistani descent. He was born to British-Pakistani father Yaser Malik and English mother Patricia. He has one older sister, Doniya, and two younger sisters, Waliyha and Safaa. He and his family are Muslim, Zayn grew up in East Bowling, located south of the Bradford city centre. He was a student at Lower Fields Primary School in East Bowling and went to Tong High School, a state comprehensive school.
- See also: One Direction history
In 2010, when he was 17 years old, Zayn auditioned in Manchester for the seventh series of The X Factor.
Zayn was noted for becoming nervous in bootcamp. When he was told he had to dance, he decided to remain backstage, effectively running the risk of elimination. When Simon noticed Zayn missing from the dance routine, he went backstage to convince him to return. Later on, Zayn said it was a lack of confidence that caused him to run away.
Following The X Factor, One Direction signed a record contract with Sony Music subsidiary Syco Music. They released their studio album, Up All Night. A few years later on February 29, 2012, Zayn left One Direction's tour to return to the UK and be with his family due to the death of a family member.
On March 25, 2015 the One Direction Facebook announced in a statement that Malik has departed from One Direction, citing his desire to live the life of a normal 22-year-old. Additionally, in an interview with The Sun, he goes further to explain that "it wasn't real to him anymore" and that he had be unhappy with his former state for a while, having only continued because of the fans.
Simon Cowell soon after announced that he signed Zayn to Syco Records to make sure the release of One Direction and Zayn's album would not be around the same time. According to The Sun, he will be featuring on Naughty Boy's album.
Zayn smokes cigarettes. In late 2011, he announced that his New Year's resolution was to quit smoking. However, he was photographed throughout 2012 still smoking.
In late May 2014, a video -- recorded in April -- from fellow band member Louis Tomlinson's phone was leaked by The Daily Mail, revealing the two boys alongside other members of their management team smoking cannabis in Peru. The footage additionally contained Zayn insulting the merchandise, stating that both them and the fans are tired of irrelevant facts such as "[Zayn's] favorite color is blue". Liam took it to Twitter to apologize for the boys' behavior, explaining that their young age led them to make these mistakes.
Zayn's parents are still together. He has three sisters and a dog named Boris.
Zayn dated fellow The X Factor contestant Geneva Lane briefly in 2010. At the time, he was 17 and she was 20. They grew close during their time on the show. However, due to Simon Cowell's strict ban against the contestants dating, they denied there was a relationship. At the season seven finale, they finally revealed themselves as a couple when cameras captured them kissing. Zayn later confirmed on Twitter that they were together. After the break up, Geneva said, "Zayn's a heartbreaker. When I found out he was seeing Rebecca I felt numb." In a November 2011 interview she said that she and Zayn remained friends, but didn't talk much because of his busy schedule.Rebecca Ferguson
In 2011, Zayn began dating The X Factor's season seven runner-up, Rebecca Ferguson when he was 18, and she was 24. Their relationship drew media attention because of the six year age difference. They met while they were on The X Factor, but Rebecca stated that "It took a while before we looked at each other in a different light. There was no one particular moment, it just evolved over time." Zayn was the one who pursued Rebecca. The relationship ended after four months in July 2011 with Rebecca stating at the time, "Me and Zayn just grew apart. I wish him all the best." However, in an interview in October 2012, Zayn opened up about the relationship by saying, "It shouldn't have happened. It was just a wrong idea from the start. It did end quite badly, so we don't talk any more. We're not in touch at all." Since then, Rebecca has alluded various times that Zayn was unfaithful.
Zayn is currently engaged to Perrie Edwards from The X Factor 's season eight winner, Little Mix. They met when One Direction performed on the eighth season of The X Factor . They were rumored to be dating, but both denied being in a relationship. In May 2012 the rumors appeared to be true when paparazzi snapped pictures of them kissing and riding a scooter. In an interview for Today that aired on May 30, 2012, Zayn confirmed having a girlfriend. On August 18, 2013, after a weekend together, Zayn proposed to her. She displayed the three diamond ring for the first time at One Direction 's This Is Us World Premiere in London. Perrie's mum confirmed the engagement to a radio station and Zayn's spokesperson confirmed that they were in fact engaged, but any other personal detail would not be released. He revealed to fans at a soundcheck in the Australian leg of the Take Me Home Tour that he proposed in front of both his and Perrie's parents in their back garden during a specially set up "Outdoor Movie Night"
His first tattoo is والتر, which is his grandfather's name, Walter, in Arabic on his chest toward the upper right. He got the tattoo after his grandfather passed away while he was on The X Factor. During an interview with Capital FM in September 2011, Zayn confirmed he had two additional tattoos. He stated that he had a Japanese symbol that means "born lucky" on his stomach (which was later covered up by a heart), and a yin and yang symbol on his left wrist. Zayn has said that the crossed fingers on his forearm are a symbol of good luck. He tweeted that the inscription across his collarbone meant "be true to who you are". The tattoo of Perrie was done during the American leg of the boy's second tour "Take Me Home" in Maryland. The image of Perrie is a "hippy" version with a beanie and a peace sign t-shirt. The snake and tiger were done in a hotel room during the Oceania leg of the Take Me Home Tour.
- "Fool's Gold" — writing
- "Vas Happenin?" (Common Quote)
- "I'd become Vashappening Man! And save them all!" (Tour Diary 3)
- "I wouldn't change anything because I love my life!" (Tour Diary 4)
- "We'd party hard! DJ Malik! DJ Malik!" (Tour Diary 4)
- "No. None of them would be bad boyfriends." (Sugarscape Interview)
- "I'd make Liam my slave and I would make him be my uh personal trainer!" (Spin the Harry 1)
- Zayn's birth name is actually spelled 'Zain'. It wasn't until The X Factor that he decided to change the spelling to 'Zayn' because he liked how it looked. He has still not legally changed the spelling.
- He accidentaly smashed a Vespa in 2012.
- His name means "beautiful" in Arabic.
- He's afraid of open water.
- He has size 8-and-a half feet.
- He had never had a passport or been on a plane before One Direction.
- He smokes but is trying to quit.
- Zayn wrote his own verse in the song "What Makes You Beautiful".
- His favorite color is blue.
- His zodiac sign is Capricorn.
- His man crush is Justin Timberlake.
- He loves drawing.
- He supports Pakistan's national cricket team in the World Cup.
- His first tweet from his Twitter account @zaynmalik was on August 9, 2010.
- ↑ File image - Questionnaire Zayn filled out where he writes his full name.
- ↑ One Direction's Zayn Malik to miss US tour after family death. Digitalspy. Daniel Sperling. March 1, 2012.
- ↑ Interview with The Sun
- ↑ 'He made it clear Zayn would stay a Syco artist': Simon Cowell's record label 'will release ex-One Direction star's new music'
- ↑ @zaynmalik. Twitter. Confirming Geneva relationship. December 13, 2010.
- ↑ Cambio.com News Article: Zayn Shares His Romantic Proposal
- ↑ One Direction Need Tattoo Advice. Capital FM. September 12, 2011.
- ↑ @zaynmalik. Twitter. Left collarbone tattoo. April 5, 2012
- ↑ Twitter Zayn's first tweet